Pet Travel

As of 1st January 2021, UK Pet Passports are no longer accepted for pets (dogs, cats and ferrets) travelling from the UK into EU countries.

Instead, you will need an Animal Health Certificate (AHC).

The requirements to obtain an AHC are similar to the previous Pet Travel Scheme.

These include:

  • A microchip which was inserted before or at the time of rabies vaccination.
  • A rabies vaccination. Or evidence this has been given and is in date (this information will be in your previous passport). Travel will be allowed 3 weeks after the rabies vaccination. Blood sample for rabies antibodies is not required.
  • Pets must be over 12 weeks old to have the rabies vaccination therefore a pet can’t travel before they are 15 weeks old.

An Animal Health Certificate is a 10 page document which is specific to each pet and each separate journey to the EU.

  • It must be issued within 10 days of travel.
  • It is specific for the EU country you will arrive into from the UK (even if your final destination is different)
  • It is valid for a period of 4 months for a SINGLE trip into the EU, onward travel in the EU and return to the UK.
  • A new AHC will be required for every new journey to the EU (even if a previous AHC was issued less than 4 months ago).

If your trip lasts longer than 4 months, the AHC will not be valid and you will either need a GB Pet Health Certificate, a valid GB pet passport which was issued before 01.01.2021 or a valid EU passport to return to the UK.

A Pet Passport that was originally issued in the EU (i.e. the pet was originally imported to the UK from the EU) may be used to travel freely to and fro between the UK and the EU without the requirement for an AHC as long as the rabies vaccinations are kept up to date.  People who have a permanent residence in the EU may prefer to obtain a Pet Passport from this country however you will need an initial AHC to be able to travel from the UK into the EU.

Returning to the UK:

A tapeworm treatment must be given by an Official Veterinarian 1 – 5 days before you return. This is NOT required if you are travelling from Finland, Malta, Norway, The Republic of Ireland.

The Animal Health Certificate is a complex document which is unique for every pet and every EU country. We must obtain this certificate in advance of your appointment for it to be issued. Please help us in the following ways:

  • Book your appointment at least a week in advance so we have plenty of time to obtain the correct documentation.
  • Tell us which EU country you will be arriving into – we need to obtain the specific certificate for this country and it must be in dual language.
  • Bring your pet’s previous Passport or clinical history from a previous vet which confirms a rabies vaccination has been given.

The appointment will last for 30 minutes and the cost to issue an AHC is £240.40 for a first pet and £120.30 for subsequent pets on the same certificate.

The Pet Passport Travel changes are for Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland)

Travel to Northern Ireland will be considered the same as to the rest of the EU therefore an AHC will be required.  A tapeworm treatment will also be required 1-5 days before travel from Great Britain into Northern Ireland however this is not required on the way back to GB.

Mulberry House Vets
Based on 319 reviews